Saturday 24 October 2020

A different kind of autumn feel!

I can hardly believe we are now near November, guys! Any reader of mine will know by now that I am a lover of the autumn season. It's an enchanting time..the changing of beautiful, jewelled coloured leaves, cosy knitted jumpers, pumpkin, spices, the chill of the wind in the sunshine.
     However. I haven't craved the cooler weather or darker nights as much. After the grim year that we've had, which is still enduring, I kind've want summer back, please! I don't want cold or dark; I want light, everywhere. I do believe I'd happily welcome said season if I felt less of a gloomy cloud over the world- As previous posts show, I have been open over the happenings of the pandemic. I probably have not divulged my inner most thoughts, as they are varied/ different. I'm not planning on discussing further unless wanted, but it's definitely had an impact on how I feel right now. 
     Or whether you believe or not, it could be mercury retrograde (ends 3rd Nov) It has the ability to make you tense or even moodier. Getting your point across and sharing thoughts and emotions is trickier do to in a constructive, easy-to-understand manner. What I do find cathartic about the fall equinox is that it demands you do some shadow work. It compels you to seek the truth from within and look at who you want to be and what prevents it. 

As most festive holidays are essentially cancelled, in terms of gatherings, I am being optimistic about life. Have a new job to work on, have lovely family and friends (although recent views have definitely differed for sure, but we're all unique!) It's just a shame that celebrations are not fun-filled. Children will likely not be 'trick or treating,' soo I've : -
  • made a little pumpkin patch outside my door, so at least kids can see that as the nights draw in- I wish I'd gone bigger but I didn't have time really and..
  • I usually bake around this time, but like the grown adult that I am, I'm going to make a gingerbread house. Why not, right !?  
If you were not aware, pumpkins are a symbol of protection and ward off evil. Orange symbolises positivity, along with success, harvest and warmth. It coincides indeed with fire, to which I am gutted that there will be no Bonfire Night. So much elemental magic! Sparklers anyone...




So above is a previous selection of my autumn creations. How do we create a witchy aesthetic this autumn then ? Along with the ideas above, here are a few more...

A lot of people are now working from home, and whilst many of us may feel there isn't a whole lot to look forward to this winter or Christmas, with Covid overshadowing lives & lockdowns taking place, the changing colours of the leaves will add interest and joy. Drink in nature as much as you can. Talk a walk in a park, visit some open gardens, take some pics of our magnificent trees! Exercise is so important right now, along with breathing in fresh air. Organic loveliness. 

If celebrations may feel more solitary for you this year, create autumnal decor in your home. First up, light! Candles and lanterns create a cosy hue, but LED lights are a safe alternative too, esp to add a tealight in pumpkins. Then scent; vanilla, gingerbread, cinnamon. Decorate with conkers, acorns, pine cones, leaves. Garlands & wreaths in rusty red, green, gold, purple all add to the vibe. Don't forget bedding or throws- add hot chocolate/warm cider and you're set!

Give thanks and gratitude. This season is all about transition, hope, remembrance. It's a great time to count your blessings, embrace the unknown and know that surrendering to darkness brings renewal and abundance. Take it to a spookier level and walk around a cemetery. Take that time to reflect, toast the season and speak to ancestors.

Have close family or friends over and make a night of it. Cook with seasonal foods, root veggies. A good, hearty meal with potatoes, onions, squash, carrots. Bake, bake, bake! Apple pie, cookies, devils food cake. Watch a scary movie marathon: Practical Magic, The Craft, Hocus Pocus, The Others, Halloween, The Shining, Casper, The Conjuring, An interview with a vampire, Tim Burton/Guillermo del Toro {You get the gist}

2 comments:

  1. I love your pumpkin carving and that came looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jo! Really glad you think so :-)

      Delete